As a doula, I have the honor and pleasure of witnessing and participating in all kinds of amazing different birth experiences. There are a small handful of especially incredible things that are on my doula bucket list. These are things that I hope I am blessed to experience in my (hopefully many) births as a doula:
1. A baby born en caul. This is when the amniotic membrane is not ruptured prior to the baby being born, so the baby is born still inside the amniotic sac filled with fluid. I've seen pictures of this and it is an amazing glimpse inside the baby's world before birth.
2. A multiple birth. I would love to doula for the birth of twins or even triplets. Double and triple the joy!
3. A vaginal breech birth. My oldest was breech, but was born by cesarean. I would love to see a breech baby born vaginally.
4. A surrogate or adoptive birth. I'm sure a birth like this would be so incredibly emotional for all involved, but I would be so blessed to support a family through one.
5. Attend a homebirth. Sadly, Nebraska is not a very homebirth-friendly state.
One of my recent clients blogged and shared her birth story yesterday. What a lovely birth that was. I'm so honored to have been a part of it. I'd like to share it all with you, too. Here is the story of Lucy's Day. Enjoy!
The mission of the Omaha Doulas Association is to provide quality birth and postpartum doula services to expectant women and their families. We seek to provide information and support to empower birting mothers while working to promote public awareness of benefits of doula care. In addition, we provide support, companionship, and networking opportunities within the doula community.
I'm a member and co-leader of Omaha Doulas Association. I LOVE this group of ladies. They are so passionate about their work. And we're all friends and so supportive of each other. Next weekend, we will be working together to have a table at the Baby Love Essentials Baby Fair. Its such a fun time of interacting with new and expectant families. And we have big plans of doing more of this. World Doula Week is coming up soon and we are raising funds through shirt sales to raise community awareness of the benefits of doula support, network with healthcare professionals and provide our members with continuing education. These shirts are really great. It would mean a lot to me if you supported us by buying a shirt and sharing the link. Thanks, everyone!
Omaha Doulas Association Shirt Fundraiser.
Amber Piller - Professional Birth Doula and owner of Agape Birth Services. Serving Northwest Houston including Jersey Village, Cypress, Tomball, Spring, and Katy Texas.