As a doula, I have the honor and pleasure of witnessing and participating in all kinds of amazing different birth experiences. There are a small handful of especially incredible things that are on my doula bucket list. These are things that I hope I am blessed to experience in my (hopefully many) births as a doula:
1. A baby born en caul. This is when the amniotic membrane is not ruptured prior to the baby being born, so the baby is born still inside the amniotic sac filled with fluid. I've seen pictures of this and it is an amazing glimpse inside the baby's world before birth.
2. A multiple birth. I would love to doula for the birth of twins or even triplets. Double and triple the joy!
3. A vaginal breech birth. My oldest was breech, but was born by cesarean. I would love to see a breech baby born vaginally.
4. A surrogate or adoptive birth. I'm sure a birth like this would be so incredibly emotional for all involved, but I would be so blessed to support a family through one.
5. Attend a homebirth. Sadly, Nebraska is not a very homebirth-friendly state.
Amber Piller - Professional Birth Doula and owner of Agape Birth Services. Serving Northwest Houston including Jersey Village, Cypress, Tomball, Spring, and Katy Texas.